Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Microfracture Surgery - Happy Holidays to Me!

I decided that I would start to write a journal about my microfracture surgery scheduled for 12/30/11 and recovery because there was limited information on this subject when I searched. I found a few blogs, but most of the people having the surgery were runners and not cyclists or multi-sport athletes.

Background: I participated in a CX clinic this last Fall and during a dismount I experienced so pain in my knee that I basically ignore and continued through the clinic hoping the knee pain and aching was nothing more than overexertion. Later that week I went for a 4-mile run and pushed through some knee pain and then couldn't walk the next couple days. I said, "Oh no, this isn't good" but still had high hopes of racing CX the rest of the season. However, every time I dismounted from the bike and did some run-ups so I forewent the CX season and went and got an MRI thinking it was just a torn meniscus.

Unfortunately, the meniscus tear wasn't the biggest problem but the articular cartilage damage was the source of pain and a microfracture surgery was the answer. BUT, after hearing about the LONG recovery and requirement to not put any weight on the knee for 6-8 weeks and be on crutches I was more concerned about the procedure than I had been about a meniscus repair. After all, this was not a debilitating injury and I was still biking and hiking and even a little backcountry skiing, but all of them were being performed 100%.

I did go and get two opinions and each of them said "microfracture" so microfracture it is. I decided to have Steadman-Hawkins perform the surgery since they invented the procedure and am scheduled to go in December 30th to allow me some freedom during the Christmas holidays. I will try and update my recovery on a daily, but definitely on a weekly, basis. My biggest concern is weight gain so I am also planning on doing a 30-day cleanse in January to prevent any weight gain. If you are interested in my cleanse or any of the other great Isagenix products, please feel free to check out my web page at heidijwahl.isagenix.com

More blogging to come and happy holidays to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment